Feature Vehicle of the Month
'59 AMC Rambler 6 Cross County
Rambler, one of the oldest names and brands in the industry deserves some serious investigation to bring us to this Car of the Month beauty, which in this part is not a straight line but in itself is the major part of its history.
Rambler dates back to 1897 when Thomas B. Jeffery of Chicago, Illinois a builder of the Rambler bicycle, built his first prototype automobile. Jeffery decided to join the automotive business after positive reviews at the 1899 Chicago International Exhibition and Tournament and First National Automobile Show in New York City. The Thomas B. Jeffery Company started in 1900 buying out the Sterling Bicycle Co. Factory in Kenosha, Wisconsin and in 1902 started mass producing automobiles reaching a production of 1,500 motorcars, becoming one-sixth of all US production and second only to Oldsmobile, the largest auto manufacturer at that time.
Rambler was the first to equip cars with a spare wheel and tire assembly and to play with the idea of a steering wheel in lieu of the tiller but did stay with the tiller initially.
In 1914, Thomas B. Jeffery's son, Charles T. Jeffery changes the Rambler name to Jeffery in honor of his late father. In 1916 the company was purchased by Charles W. Nash and became the Nash Motors Company and by 1917 the Jeffery Brand became the Nash automobile. In 1937, the company became the Nash-Kelvinatior Corporation upon the merger with the well known appliance maker. George W. Mason, Nash's successor began development of a small car and due to steel shortages and limited raw material because of the Korean War turned to the compact design and designated it the Rambler, a two-door sedan with a convertible top with the cars being equipped with many standard features (typically options) to maximize profits. The Rambler was an immediate success for Nash. As steel became more available the Rambler line was broadened to include a station wagon and a two-door hardtop called “Country Club” and later a two-door sedan. In 1954 brings the addition of the fourdoor sedan and station wagon called the “Cross Country” on a stretched wheelbase which became just as popular as the first generation of the two-door sedan convertibles.
In 1954 Rambler offered the first industry combined heating and air conditioning system that could be an add-on or installed at the factory for a mere 395.00, the lowest cost at that time for an American car.
Another merger loomed in 1959 when Nash-Kelvinator and the Hudson Motor Car Company became American Motor Corporation (AMC). After the merger Ramblers were badged as both Nashes and Hudsons. In 1957 Rambler became a marque in its own right with Nash and Hudson models continuing only as senior models, after that all AMC's were marketed as Ramblers.
This brings us to our beautiful example of a 1959 AMC Rambler 6 Cross Country with a 127 HP Straight-6 and 3-Speed automatic transmission. This particular model's pictures were provided by the Daniel Schmitt & Co. out of St. Louis, MO and is presently up for sale: email@example.com or 314-291-7000.
Next Club Meeting...
The Florida Region of the Antique Automobile Club of America meets the 2nd Monday of each month at 7 P.M. at the Kress Memorial Church of Seventh-Day Adventists, 746 Formosa Av, Winter Park, Florida 32789. Located 2 blocks south of Fairbanks Avenue.
Next Club Activity